Tough Talks TakeAways
Financial stability and prolonged health & well-being are two topics of discussion we should be having early and often with our loved ones, but are inclined to avoid. Last and living wills, long-term healthcare, long-term investing and other old age-related topics are tough talks to initiate, since many of us don’t know where to start.
Dozens of DRIVEN Professionals hung on the words of panelists Carol Einhorn, Yolanda Kanes, and Mijanou Spurdle, and were DRIVEN into action. Take a look at what went down over wine and snacks after the panel discussion:
- We learned that during the presentation, one attendee and mother of two young sons texted her husband and told him to make an appointment with the family lawyer right away to finally create that last will they’ve been putting off.
- An attendee mentioned she will be reaching out to panelist Yolanda Kanes for legal services.
- I was asked to introduce panelist Carol Einhorn to an attendee to inquire about long term health insurance for himself and his four siblings.
- THE BARTENDER was texting his wife throughout the program with details on financial issues they need to tend to….the biggie was the money he was leaving on the table with his 401K.
We polled the audience throughout the evening, and with 84% of the audience weighing in, not ONE person said they didn’t need to take action in this planning:
Still not sure if you need to begin having these tough talks? Try and answer these multiple choice questions:
- While half of women who reach 65 will live beyond 85 years, ____% of email retirees do not plan far enough in the future to cover this 20 year period.
- ______% of American women ages 40-79 have already dealt with a major financial “life crisis” such as job loss, divorce, serious illness, or a death of a spouse?
- More than 60% of female caregivers have to make career sacrifices including cutting work hours, passing up promotions or quitting their job entirely to accommodate their care giving responsibilities and losses average $_____ in lifetime earnings (plus the loss of Social Security and pension benefits)
If you missed the event, here’s how to get in touch with the panelists for any follow-up:
- Carol Einhorn of Arbor Group: CEinhorn@arborgrp.com
- Yolanda Kanes of Tannenbaum, Helpern, Syracuse & Hirschtritt LLP: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Mijanou Spurdle of Morgan Stanley Miami Beach: Mijanou.email@example.com